- Outside Scholarship Processing
- Outside Scholarship Opportunities
- South Dakota Specific Scholarships
- Other South Dakota & Regional Scholarships
- Other Scholarship Listings
- Free Scholarship Search Engines and Scholarship Search Tips
- Scholarship Scams Alert Information
Outside Scholarship Processing
Do you have an outside scholarship? The Lake Area Tech Foundation Office processes all outside scholarships that students receive from private and nonprofit institutions, corporations, or other organizations. Students with an outside scholarship should bring their check or copy of the award letter to the Foundation office to ensure it is applied to their account.
Students with an outside scholarship shall complete the Outside Scholarships Form on MyPortal (use your Lake Area Tech long-in credentials).
Outside Scholarship Opportunities
In addition to internal scholarship opportunities offered through Lake Area Tech, there are many outside scholarships* offered to students attending college by local, regional, state, and nationwide businesses and organizations. Our Financial Aid office at Lake Area Tech has compiled a list of scholarship opportunities below that are available to incoming and returning students. Students wishing to apply for one or more of these scholarships will need to apply for each scholarship individually. It takes a fair amount of time to apply, however the payoff can be tremendous!
*Disclaimer: This information is provided as a service. LATC does not necessarily endorse any of the businesses, organizations, or scholarships listed below. Students are encouraged to research specific scholarships of interest. Please contact the LATC Financial Aid Office for more information.
South Dakota Scholarships
The following scholarships provide students attending South Dakota post-secondary colleges amazing opportunities! Build Dakota is a full-ride scholarship. We urge students to learn more about these opportunities through each of the respective websites (links below). Recipients of these scholarships graduate from college nearly or completely debt-free!
Build Dakota Scholarship
Deadline: March 31
- Full-ride scholarship covering tuition & fees, books, and other required program requirements
- For students enrolled in a high-need workforce area program at one of the four technical institutes
- Enroll in a program determined to be a high-need workforce area
- Work full-time in South Dakota for a minimum of three years
- Programs may change – check website for the latest information
More information: https://www.builddakotascholarships.com/
Check out LATC’s Build Dakota Scholarship page: Build Dakota Scholarships
Jump Start Scholarship
Deadline: September 1
- Students who graduate from a South Dakota public high school in 3 years or less
- No student who enrolls in any part of 4th year of high school is eligible
- Enroll in an accredited institution located in South Dakota within 1 year of high school graduation.
- Must be a South Dakota resident
- Applicable to first year only
- Dollar amount varies and is based on state’s per student cost to educate
Apply at: https://www.sdbor.edu/
South Dakota Opportunity Scholarship
Deadline: September 1
- Attend a postsecondary school in South Dakota
- $1,500 for 3 years and $3,000 for final year
- Must be a South Dakota resident
- Eligibility requirements include minimum GPA, minimum ACT scores, curriculum requirements, etc.
Apply at: https://sdos.sdbor.edu/
Other South Dakota & Regional Scholarships
There are several scholarships that are specifically for students enrolled in South Dakota post-secondary schools. This is a general overview of each of those scholarships. For more detailed information, including eligibility criteria, please check out the specific scholarship website.
Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation Scholarships
The Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation awards more than 150 scholarships each year. Whether you’re a current high school senior, a current college student, or you’re obtaining a general equivalency diploma (GED), their organization offers scholarships to help you achieve your educational goals.
Apply online at https://www.sfacf.org/grants-scholarships/scholarships
AGC of SD Highway-Heavy-Utilities Chapter Scholarship
The AGC of SD Highway-Heavy-Utilities Chapter is committed to providing scholarships for students
pursuing a career in a construction-related education program at a college/university or technical
institute. It is AGC’s goal to provide financial assistance to all eligible applicants when possible.
Eligible applicants must have a desire to pursue a construction career and be sponsored by an AGC member.
Fill out just one application to be eligible for these scholarships by April 19th, 2024!
Apply online at BUILDSOUTHDAKOTA.COM/SCHOLARSHIPS
Yankton Medical Clinic, P.C. Scholarships
Through our strong desire to promote higher education and to provide resources for youth to seek higher education, we award several scholarships to students to be used for the educational costs of attending an institution of higher learning. The scholarships include the following:
- Five $1,000 scholarships to high school seniors within our service area majoring in a health care field with preference given to physician, nursing, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, laboratory techs, respiratory therapy, and radiology/diagnostic imaging fields. Please no dentistry, optometry, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech/language pathology, chiropractic, or massage therapy.
- One $1,000 scholarship to a currently enrolled college student majoring in:
- Respiratory Therapy
- Radiology Technician
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- One $5,000 scholarship to a Pillar III medical student at the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine
- Students must live within our service area and plan to return to work within 50 miles of Yankton
- The application for the 2024-25 academic year is open.
- Review the list of eligible high schools in our service area
- For complete details including GPA & ACT requirements, see the application for each scholarship.
Apply online at https://www.yanktonmedicalclinic.com/scholarships/
South Dakota Retailers Scholarship
Deadline: April 23, 2024
The South Dakota Retailers Association scholarship program provides assistance to students studying for a career in retail and hospitality businesses, whether as an owner, manager, or employee. In 2023, their Scholarship Committee awarded funds to six students, in amounts ranging from $2,100 to $3,500. The scholarship opportunity is for students enrolled in technical schools, SD universities, community colleges, and eligible online programs.
The program is named in honor of former Executive Director Jerry Wheeler, who started the program in 1992. Since then, the Association has awarded 275 scholarships, totaling $237,900.
Click on the link below to view eligibility requirements and eligible programs.
Link to apply: https://www.sdra.org/scholarships.html
The Freedom Scholarship offers a statewide opportunity for students to help pay for college, as they help build South Dakota’s workforce. By demonstrating financial need and meeting scholarship requirements, students can use the scholarship toward any bachelor’s degree.
Link to apply: https://www.freedomscholarshipsd.com/process
Franklin Krause New Horizons Scholarship
The Franklin Krause Foundation and the Franklin Krause New Horizons Scholarship Fund have been established to support organizations, projects and students in Custer and Roberts Counties in South Dakota and Richland County in North Dakota and surrounding counties.
Link to apply: https://franklinkrausefoundation.org
*These scholarships apply to students entering a four-year university. See the links for participating Board of Regents post-secondary institutions.
Other Scholarship Listings
Scholarships for Full-Time Undergraduate Studies
Up to five (5) scholarships of $1,000 each are awarded to high school seniors who meet the following qualifications:
- Must reside in a household receiving electric service from one of the 61 MRES member utilities. Residence eligibility may be verified by calling the city utility office or click here for a list of MRES member communities. Eligible high schools are designated by MRES.
- Must enroll in a full-time* undergraduate course of study at an accredited two- or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school no later than the fall of 2024.
Scholarships are awarded to students pursuing courses of study for careers related to the electric industry, such as an electrical technician (field service technician, wind turbine maintenance, power plant maintenance, etc.), electrical engineer or other engineering disciplines, mathematics, science, energy management, or other related fields such as accounting, communications or economics. This scholarship is renewable for up to three years for $1,000 each year.
Apply today for the undergrad scholarship opportunity.
Women’s Industry Network Scholarship
Our scholarship program is designed to encourage women with an interest in the industry to continue on that path, as well as equip those who have demonstrated a commitment to pursuing a career in collision repair. Recipients are chosen by our Scholarship Committee based on the applications submitted.
There are currently two award tiers, ‘Stars’ which receive a $500 award and ‘Champions’ which receive a $2500 award. These funds are applied to the tuition for the qualified collision repair program in which they are currently enrolled. In addition to the monetary award, recipients receive essential tools and resources to help them succeed in their program and a pass to virtually attend our Annual Educational Conference. Scholarship applications are accepted each fall and awards are issued each spring.
Qualified applicants are:
– WIN Student Members (Join for Free)
– Currently enrolled in & in good standing with a career college (post-secondary) collision repair program
– Women demonstrating an interest in & commitment to a career in the industry
American Legion Riders Scholarship
The American Legion provides a variety of scholarships to support higher education for youth.
Apply at: https://www.legion.org/scholarships
or download the application here
Bi Scholarship Opportunity
In an effort to nurture healthy communities and a prosperous society, Utopia Management endeavors to support higher education through this bi-annual $1000 scholarship. Utopia has been a strong supporter of higher education since 2010 through multiple scholarships and employee continuing education grants. Awarded every spring and fall, the scholarship is meant to support dedicated students in acquiring a career-oriented degree.
- FALL Application Deadline: November 1
- FALL Winner Contacted: December 1
- FALL Winner Announced on Site: December 5
- SPRING Applications Open: November 2
- SPRING Application Deadline: May 1
- SPRING Scholarship Awarded: June 1
DEWALT Trades Scholarship
Deadline: January 17, 2024
Stanley Black & Decker has established the DEWALT Trades Scholarship to assist individuals attending a two-year college or vocational-technical school who are pursuing a trade degree/certificate in an industry aligned with the Stanley Black & Decker Trade Goals – including but are not limited to Construction, Industrial, Motor/Power Sector, Mechanics, and Technology.
This program is administered by Scholarship America®, the nation’s largest designer and manager of scholarships and other education support programs for corporations, foundations, associations, and individuals. Eligibility for individual programs is determined at the sole discretion of the sponsor, and eligible applications are reviewed by Scholarship America’s evaluation team.
SD FFA Star Partner Scholarship
Deadline: March 1, 2024
1. This scholarship is for any past SD FFA members completing at least their 1st year at a 2 or 4 year postsecondary program, pursuing degrees in any field of agriculture:
2. This scholarship application is for students who are already in college, with an Agriculture Education major:
Both are due March 1st. Funding is provided through the SD FFA Star Partner program, and scholarships may vary in size. Recipients are asked to write thank you notes to sponsors.
Winners will be notified, and recognized at the SD FFA Convention, Friday April 19th, during our 4pm session. Scholarships will be provided to your school next fall after you submit information confirming you are still enrolled.
Military Rodeo Cowboy Hall of Fame
Deadline: May 31, 2024
Our scholarships are directed toward the family members of veterans who are interested in rodeo, ranching, farming, sports marketing, or museum studies.
Apply at: mrchof.com/scholarships
AmericanMuscle’s Student Scholarship Program
Deadline: June 15 for Fall Semester, October 15 for Spring Semester.
Scholarships are restricted to those students pursuing an automotive degree or related field of study. Only students currently enrolled full-time in an American college, Canadian college, automotive engineering program, trade school, technical institute, or high school seniors planning to attend a college or post-secondary institution are eligible to be awarded a scholarship through this program. One scholarship for $2,500 will be awarded twice a year to students pursuing an automotive themed major. One scholarship will be awarded every spring semester, followed by one additional scholarship to be awarded for the Fall semester each year.
AmericanTrucks Student Scholarship Program
Deadline: June 15 for Fall Semester, October 15 for Spring Semester.
Currently enrolled full-time in an accredited United States technical institute, 2 or 4 year college or university. With program in construction management, secondary vo-tech school or tuition bearing apprenticeship program in the traditional building trades (e.g. carpentry, HVAC, electrical or related fields of study.) Students pursuing certificate programs, apprenticeship programs, and students currently attending high school and will be attending an accredited school in the next academic year to one of the aforementioned programs are welcome to apply. One scholarship in the amount of $2,500 will be awarded for the Fall semester, and 1 scholarship will be awarded for the Spring semester each year.
TC Energy Build Strong Scholarships
Our scholarships are a convenient way to get financial support for school. Now with 750+ scholarships available across Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, you could receive a scholarship valued at up to $5,000.
TC Energy is proud to help build strong communities, develop the next generation of community leaders and provide a skilled workforce for our industry.
- Enrolled in a post-secondary institution for the up-coming academic year
- A citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Located in a community near TC Energy’s operations or projects
- Would benefit from supplementary education funding
Check out the pre-qualification form here
Indigenous Education, Inc. – Cobell Scholarship
Both merit-based and need-based, the competitive Cobell Scholarship is annual, non-renewable, and available to any post-secondary (after high school) student who is enrolled in full time study and is degree-seeking. Applicants must plan to attend or be attending any nationally, regionally and industry accredited non-profit, public, private institution.
Scholarship awards vary each year | Apply at: cobellscholar.org
American Indian College Fund Scholarships
Deadline: See Website (link below)
The Association on American Indian Affairs has been providing Native American student scholarships since 1947 and provides scholarships to undergraduate and graduate Native American students who are citizens of their Tribal Nation – whether or not their Nation is recognized by the federal government.
Learn more/read eligibility criteria: https://www.indian-affairs.org/nativescholarship.html
Free Scholarship Search Engines and Scholarship Search Tips
Additionally, we’ve provided a list of reputable search engines below that may be useful in finding other scholarship opportunities. Please take time to explore the opportunities offered through these search engines. Consider your talents (e.g., academics, athletic, fine arts, etc.) and apply for scholarship in these areas.
- Career One Stop
- College Board
- Sallie Mae
- TPR – Test Prep Review
- Tuition Funding Sources
Mapping Your Future, a nonprofit organization committed to helping students, families, and schools navigate the higher education and financial aid process, has created a Scholarship Search Tips flier to help you find ways to fund your college education through their free scholarship search tips. It also includes helpful advice on scams.
We know searching for applicable scholarships can be overwhelming! Our best advice is to start in your hometown and explore all of the scholarship opportunities offered there. The following tips from Federal Student Aid will help get the search started off on the right foot. Consider your local:
- Clubs/organizations (such as Rotary)
- Your high school counselor’s office
- Your local library’s reference section
- Your parents’ place of employment
Scholarship Scam Alert Information
The internet holds a vast amount of information regarding scholarship opportunities. We caution you, however, to use your discretion as not all sites are reputable (i.e., those that ask for a registration fee and/or offer guarantees). Start with our list!
*Disclaimer: This information is provided as a service. LATC does not necessarily endorse any of the businesses, organizations, or scholarships listed. Students are encouraged to research specific scholarships of interest. Please contact the LATC Financial Aid Office for more information.