SNAP Employment & Training Program
Lake Area Technical College students who receive benefits from the South Dakota Department of Social Services’ Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) may also meet the requirements to receive tuition assistance through the SNAP Employment & Training program. This program is in partnership with the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation. SNAP Employment & Training covers tuition and fees for the eligible program. Additional assistance for other associated fees such as transportation, tools, uniforms, etc. may also be available.
Eligible Programs at Lake Area Tech:
- Community Health Worker
- Dental Assisting
- EMT Basic Online Course
- Practical Nursing/Practical Nursing Online
Human Services Technician
How to Apply
- Choose an eligible program at Lake Area Tech.
- Complete the online application form (click on the Apply Now button to the left).
- Complete the FAFSA if the program you chose is eligible for federal financial aid.
- Verify eligibility. A Department of Social Services representative will verify that the applicant receives SNAP benefits. For those that don’t, an application will be sent to complete.
- Send an email to Lake Area Tech that you’ve completed the application process with the subject line reading: SNAP Applicant.
Once the applicant has followed these steps and has been accepted, a class schedule will be sent. Lake Area Tech will invoice the Department of Social Services and a case manager will be assigned to the student who will guide him/her through the educational process and, after successfully completing the program, the transition to a rewarding job.