What is an Apprenticeship Program?
In its efforts to help fill the workforce gap, Lake Area Technical Institute now offers Registered Apprenticeships in select programs for students who wish to secure a degree in a high-demand field while earning a salary. The Learn Where You Earn apprenticeship combines classroom theory and valuable on-the-job, hands-on training at a participating business/industry. While completing the apprenticeship, students will learn the necessary skill sets to successfully enter the workforce pipeline. Our Registered Apprenticeship Programs meet national standards for registration with the U.S. Department of Labor or federally recognized State Apprenticeship Agencies.
Students enrolled in registered apprenticeship programs can expect to:
- Gain practical skills and relevant training
- Earn Lake Area Technical Institute credit or even a certificate or degree
- Receive industry-aligned education under the supervision of a qualified mentor
- Learn on-the-job using current technology and equipment
- Receive incremental pay increases during the apprenticeship
Registered apprenticeships at Lake Area Tech are comprised of five distinct elements that distinguish them from internships:
- Employer Involvement/Mentor Supervision
- Structured On-the-Job Learning
- Related Technical Instruction
- Monetary Rewards for Skills Gained
- National Occupational Credentialing
Unlike internships, apprenticeships require a full-time commitment by the student up to three years, depending on the program. Following completion, the apprentice will earn a certificate demonstrating full proficiency of the skill sets required to meet job responsibilities. Also, the apprenticeship is directly tied to employment with the partnering business/industry upon successful completion.
What Programs at Lake Area Tech Offer Apprenticeships?
To date, Lake Area Technical Institute offers apprenticeships in eight high-demand, industry-driven programs. These programs have been carefully reviewed and selected based on industry needs in this area. Students completing these programs with an apprenticeship can look forward to a successful career following graduation. Our staff will continue to review additional apprenticeship opportunities as presented. Currently, Lake Area Tech offer apprenticeships in the following programs:
- Building Trades Technology
- Computer Information Systems/Security
- Custom Paint & Fabrication
- Diesel Technology
- Financial Services
- Precision Machining
- Welding Technology
Each program will have its own course outline that will signify the length of the program with the apprenticeship and will vary depending on the courses required for graduation and on-the-job training requirements. Some programs will be eligible for financial aid and/or GI benefits. Depending on the sponsoring business, tuition reimbursement may apply.
Lake Area Tech Apprenticeship, Admissions, Financial Aid, and/or VA staff are available to answer any questions regarding program requirements and financial aid benefits.
Employers are the foundation of every apprenticeship program and the skills needed by their workforce are at the core. Registered Apprenticeships are a proven strategy for developing a talent pipeline of qualified workers. The following industry leaders are partnering with Lake Area Tech to identify effective workforce solutions and collaborative approaches to fill workforce demands.
Pre-apprenticeship training is a great way for participants to explore and learn about exciting careers in high-demand fields. Some of the training we offer that teach basic technical and job-readiness skills are:
- Bring Your ‘A’ Game To Work
- OSHA/Safety Training
- Hazardous Materials Safety Training
- Forklift Training
- Basic Welding
- General Education Courses
Is an Apprenticeship Right for You?
Students participating in an Apprenticeship Program will achieve many benefits. During the apprenticeship, students will have access to classroom and lab experiences with qualified LATI faculty plus on-the-job training with a dedicated mentor in the company where they work. This on the job training program enables students to Learn Where You Earn. Benefits of an Apprenticeship Program include:
- Gaining practical skills and relevant training
- Earning national credentials and a Lake Area Tech certificate or degree
- Guaranteed employment
- Industry-aligned education
- Higher wages and career advancement
How to Apply for an Apprenticeship
Thank you for your interest in becoming an apprentice while earning a degree at Lake Area Tech! We encourage students who are interested in applying for a Lake Area Tech apprenticeship to apply early as there is limited availability in each program. Please follow these application steps:
- Visit with an Admissions Rep about the available registered apprenticeship programs and arrange for a campus tour.
- Apply to Lake Area Technical Institute by clicking here.
- Take the LATI Placement tests.
- Apply and Interview for an Apprenticeship Program through our Apprenticeship Office.
Successful applicants to LATI’s apprenticeship programs must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a minimum age of 18 years old
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must be a US citizen, have permanent residency status, or possess a work visa
- Must meet admission requirements and must satisfy sponsor’s minimum requirements
- Must have a valid driver’s license for programs that require it
Before beginning the application process, students are welcome to contact our Apprenticeship Program staff to answer any questions they may have about the process or the programs. Contact us at these addresses: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. As with any potential applicant, we encourage students to tour our campus and meet with program instructors. Our admissions representatives will guide you through a personal campus tour at your convenience. Contact our admissions reps by calling our main office at 1-800-657-4344. You may also live chat with them on our website.
How Do Business/Industries Become Involved?
Business and industries that become involved in the Apprenticeship Program at Lake Area Technical Institute may realize significant benefits by offering apprenticeship opportunities for Lake Area Tech students. Hiring apprentices can help business and industries’ recruitment and retention efforts by:
- Expanding education and training options
- Increasing employee retention by “growing your own”
- Having a trained and educated workforce
- Addressing the workforce pipeline concerns
- Transferring knowledge, skills, and expertise
- Developing future leadership
Becoming involved is easy. The first step is simply to contact the Lake Area Tech Apprenticeship staff to discuss apprenticeship possibilities in a specific program. Contact us at these addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Our staff will assist in the registration process and in launching the apprenticeship program. Once the program begins, basic apprenticeship sponsor responsibilities include:
- Employing the apprentice full-time
- Training the apprentice in OJL job tasks
- Training the apprentice in RTI courses
- Developing a skilled workforce
We look forward to partnering with area/regional businesses in this exciting new opportunity that will help fill the workforce needs in South Dakota and beyond! Please visit this page in the future for information on training session dates and apprenticeship informational meetings.
Apprenticeship in South Dakota – http://www.startodaysd.com/
Department of Labor FAQ’s
Department of Labor Apprenticeship page – https://www.dol.gov/apprenticeship/
ApprenticeshipUSA Toolkit – https://www.dol.gov/apprenticeship/toolkit.htm
SD Department of Labor and Regulation – http://dlr.sd.gov/workforce_services/individuals/training_opportunities/apprenticeship.aspx
Registered Apprenticeship College Consortium – https://www.doleta.gov/oa/racc.cfm