Do you dream of a career where you’re an integral part of a team of medical practitioners providing the highest level of safe, surgical care to patients?
Surgical Technology, Lake Area Tech’s newest healthcare program, just might be the perfect career path for you! Industry demand for surgical technologists is critical, meaning jobs in this high-demand profession will be waiting for graduates.
Students in the Surgical Technology program will study theory and practice hands-on applications that ensure an operating room is safe, equipment functions properly, and the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. Program learning objectives include sterilization procedures; preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative procedures; as well as perioperative case management.
The curriculum prepares students to become highly skilled in:
- Preparing the operating room, including a sterile table set up with instruments, supplies, equipment, and medications/solutions
- Assisting the surgeon with handling instruments, fluids, and supplies
- Performing a supply count
- Monitoring and adjusting sterilizers, lights, suction machines, or diagnostic equipment
- Performing post-procedure activities including instrument decontamination and sterilization of instruments
In addition to on-campus training, Surgical Tech students are required to complete clinicals at an approved healthcare facility. Graduates of the Surgical Technology program will be prepared to take the national Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) exam.
Supporting information is being developed and will be posted to this page upon completion.