Student in sim lab looking in microscope

Articulation Agreements

Program to Program Articulation Agreement General Information

Lake Area Technical Institute has various program-to-program articulation agreements with the South Dakota public universities and private and out-of-state universities for LATI graduates earning an Associate of Applied Science degree. In many programs, technical credits earned in that area will transfer if the student chooses to enroll at a university and obtain a bachelor’s degree. Articulation agreements vary from program to program. Please click on the specific university tabs for more details regarding articulation information per program/university or you may contact the university for more articulation information.

Select general education credits may also transfer for credit. Details are outlined in each of the articulation agreements.

The Frequently Asked Questions include many common questions and answers regarding articulation. Subjects covered in the FAQ information include procedures, policies, and reverse articulation information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here you’ll find answers to common questions and answers regarding the Articulation Agreements between Lake Area Technical Institute and bachelor’s degree programs.

A graduate from a specific program at LATI may utilize a program-to-program articulation agreement, which applies LATI technical credits to a program in that area at a select college or university. In addition to technical credits, certain general education classes may be transferred.
Every credit a student is able to apply to a bachelor’s degree saves both time and money. With the cost of your college education including not only tuition and fees but books and living expenses as well, you could save more than $100 for every credit transferred!
No. Students must have completed the LATI program before a program-to-program agreement can be used.
The technical credits will only transfer when the student is pursuing the programs detailed on the agreement listing. However, any transferable general education credits may still apply.
An articulation agreement between LATI and a four-year institution specifies which and how many credits LATI will be accepted into a bachelor’s program at a particular school. Depending on the specific agreement, your technical education credits may transfer as a block. For example, if a student has graduated from the LATI Electronic Systems Technology program and attends SDSU majoring in Electronics Engineering Technology, 34 technical course credits automatically transfer. In addition, specific general education courses taken at LATI will transfer, increasing this number. In this case, well over three semesters of credits will transfer. Each specific agreement provides a list of the courses that will need to be taken at the university level.
Some of the agreements do. Each agreement is different as the content of the LATI curriculum has specific elements needed for entry into the work force that may not be included in the university degree. Please refer to the program-specific articulation agreement.
Everyone’s circumstances are different so each person has to make the decision that’s the best fit for them. Many students want to explore their subject area in depth in the first two years of their post-secondary education, to make sure that is the right field of study for them. These students get that opportunity at LATI. Many students realize they will need to work to pay for school. If you graduate from LATI first, you can be employed at a much higher salary in your field of study while also working on your bachelor’s degree. In some cases, your employer will help pay for your college credits. That’s hard to beat!
Sure! Many of the general education credits you take at the university level will transfer and enable you to take fewer courses at LATI. Once you complete your associate degree, if you decide at that point that you wish to resume working on your bachelor’s degree, you can utilize the articulation agreement. It works both ways!
Contact the university to discuss the program in which you are interested. The university representative can look at your LATI transcript to determine which credits they will accept towards the Bachelor’s degree.