Build Dakota Scholarships
The Build Dakota Scholarship Fund was established in 2015 by generous business leaders and forward-thinking lawmakers to address South Dakota’s workforce challenges. Lake Area Technical College is proud to facilitate the Build Dakota Scholarship program that supports students entering high-need workforce fields in South Dakota. The program goal is to help close the workforce gap in these high-demand careers by graduating highly skilled workers.
Scholarship Details & Student Commitment
Students awarded a Build Dakota Scholarship are one step closer to a successful future. Since Build Dakota Scholarships support tuition, fees, books, and other required program expenses, scholarship recipients graduate debt-free.
By accepting a Build Dakota Scholarship, the student agrees to:
- Enroll full-time in a high-need industry program at Lake Area Tech
- Following graduation, work full-time in their field for a minimum of three years in South Dakota
° Most LATC Build Dakota scholars earn their scholarship with a Stretch-the-Million industry partner. These scholars fulfill their Build Dakota work commitment through their STM partner.
- Both in-state students and out-of-state students are eligible for the scholarships.
- Scholars of all ages can apply.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national (Must meet citizenship eligibility requirements according to the federal financial aid regulations). Contact the college with questions regarding specific situations.
- Must complete the FAFSA (Federal Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Must demonstrate aptitude through one or more of the following:
° The National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) or other industry-recognized certifications in the career area
° Technical, dual, or concurrent credit courses taken in the career interest area
° Work-based learning experiences, internships or work experience in the career interest area
How to Apply
The Build Dakota application window is open from January 1 – March 31.
Lake Area Tech students use their MyPortal login to access the Foundation’s comprehensive online application. Note: new students will need to have been accepted into their program of choice before receiving MyPortal credentials.
Build Dakota Scholarship Eligible Programs at Lake Area Tech
Agriculture – Agri-Production Option
Agriculture – Dairy Option
Agriculture – Precision Technology Option
Building Trades Technology
Computer Information Systems*
Custom Paint and Fab
Dental Assisting* – Certified
Electronic Systems Technology*
Heavy Equipment Operator
Med/Fire Rescue – Paramedic*
Medical Lab Technician*
* Online E-Degrees available in these programs
Build Dakota 2022-23 Recipients
Congratulations to Build Dakota Cohort 8 at Lake Area Tech!
For more information about Build Dakota Scholarships, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call:
Sarah Wirtjes, Foundation Administrative Assistant
605-882-5284 Ext. 292
Morgan Johnson, Foundation Development Officer
605-882-5284 Ext. 308
Melissa Waldner, Business Partner Specialist
605-882-5284 Ext. 263
Tracy (Hlavacek) Buisker, Foundation Director
605-882-5284 Ext. 268