Equipment Technician – Mechanic
Website South Dakota State University
The SDSU Facilities & Services Department is seeking a skilled mechanic to join our team. This position will support our mechanical team by providing diagnostic, maintenance and repairs services to building equipment (standby generators, compressors, pumps), and to other equipment ranging from heavy off-road and construction equipment to small engines.
Job Responsibilities: Perform skilled mechanic work on a wide variety of equipment, in the shop and in the field. Equipment includes standby generators, air compressors, vacuum pumps, small engines, diesel engines, vehicles, electric carts/UTVs, construction/off road equipment (skid loaders, loaders, tractors, telehandlers, basket lifts, trenchers, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- General mechanical knowledge of various equipment including diesel, gas, small engines, including electrical, steering, suspension, brake, cooling/heating, powertrain, fuel, air and hydraulic systems.
- Building equipment maintenance and repair (i.e., standby generators, air compressors, etc.) or ability to easily learn.
- Equipment maintenance and repair (i.e., automotive, loaders, skid loaders, tractors, telehandlers, UTVs, lawn and grounds care equipment, etc.).
- Math skills including fractions, percentages, and geometry.
- Diagnostic techniques for engines and equipment systems.
Skill & Ability to:
- Work safely with a variety of hand and power tools.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Work in extreme temperatures and various locations including tunnels, rooftops, and agricultural sites.
- Communicate clearly and have good customer service skills.
- Respond to emergency/urgent issues after hours or on weekends.
- Work independently with minimal supervision as well as work as a team player with a positive attitude.
- Analyze mechanical issues by applying problem solving skills.
Required License: Valid driver’s license is required.
- CDL class B with air brakes endorsement.
- Associates degree in Diesel and Automotive Technology (or similar) or at least 5 years of professional on the job experience performing mechanical repairs and service.
Comments: This position is classified as Equipment Technician. South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment. It is the policy of the university to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to the university’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check. Posting #: CSA01891P
Benefits: South Dakota State University offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee, spouse, and dependents; life insurance; long-term disability insurance; paid holidays; educational assistance; retirement plans; and a generous vacation accrual and sick day allowance.
Application Procedures: South Dakota State University accepts applications through an online employment site; to apply, visit https://YourFuture.sdbor.edu. [SE8307 – 80432]
South Dakota State University promotes access to and opportunities for all to receive the benefit of and participate in education, research, and service and is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to this land-grant access mission. SDSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to, and SDSU prohibits discrimination on, the basis of sex, race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, gender, gender identification, transgender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status that may become protected under law against discrimination in the offering of all educational programs and employment opportunities. Arrangements for accommodations required by disabilities can be made by emailing HR@sdstate.edu. Individuals with concerns regarding discrimination should contact: Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources, Morrill Hall 100, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007, 605-688-4128.