FEDERAL PELL GRANT
- Foundation of award package.
- Does not need to be repaid.
- Awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s degree.
- Based on enrollment status (i.e., full-time, three-quarter time, half-time, or less-than-half-time).
- The Pell Grant award is finalized after the final add/drop period. Your Pell Grant amount may change if your enrollment status changes.
FEDERAL SUPPLEMENTAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY GRANT (FSEOG)
- Awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need.
- Must also be a Pell Grant recipient.
- Does not need to be repaid.
- Priority given to students with lowest Parent/Student Contribution.
FEDERAL WORK STUDY (FWS)
- Provides opportunity to work at LATI, one of the school district buildings, or a nonprofit agency with whom LATI has an agreement.
- Amount on award letter is maximum you are allowed to earn.
- Hours are worked each month and you are paid on the last working day of the month.
- Openings are listed with the LATI Department of Labor and Regulation Office.
FEDERAL DIRECT LOAN
- You must repay any loans borrowed even if you do not complete your program, do not find employment, or are otherwise dissatisfied with or do not receive the educational or other services that you purchased from the school.
- Funds are borrowed directly from the Federal Government through the Federal Direct Loan Program.
- Can either be subsidized or unsubsidized:
- Subsidized Direct Loan is based on financial need. Government pays the interest for you while you are attending school.
- Unsubsidized Direct Loan is not based on financial need. You are responsible for interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full.
- Six (6) month grace period begins when you graduate, withdraw, or drop less than half-time.
- Loan repayment will be made to one of the Department of Education Loan Servicers.
- Annual loan limits of $3,500 (first year) and $4,500 (second year).
- Dependent students may borrow $2,000 in additional Unsubsidized Direct Loan.
- Independent students may borrow $6,000 in additional Unsubsidized Direct Loan
- Must have at least 34 credits (or 1050 clock hours for Cosmetology) toward your current degree program in order to be considered a second year student.
- Interest rate for Subsidized Direct loans first disbursed on or after 07-01-17 is 4.45% fixed. Unsubsidized Direct Loan is 4.45% fixed.
- For loans first disbursed after 10-01-17, there is a 1.066% loan fee deducted from each disbursement.
FEDERAL DIRECT PLUS LOAN
- Available to parents of dependent students.
- Parent borrows from the federal government.
- Interest rate for PLUS first disbursed on or after 7-01-17 is 7.0%.
- Can borrow Estimated Budget minus other aid.
- Borrower is responsible for interest throughout life of loan.
- Repayment will begin within 60 days after the last disbursement of the loan. (Effective 7-1-08 parents may choose to defer payments on a PLUS Loan until six months after the date the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time).
- For PLUS loans first disbursed after 10-01-17, there is a 4.264% loan fee deducted from each disbursement.
- Credit evaluation is required.