Fertilizer Plant Operator (Miller, SD)
Do you have experience in plant/facility production, quality control, and maintenance? Perhaps warehousing experience, including shipping and receiving? Are you willing to operate material handling equipment, including a forklift, skid steer, and other equipment? Are you self-motivated and customer-focused? If so, we’d like to hear from you!
For over a century, Wilbur-Ellis has experienced success and growth in marketing and distributing agricultural products, animal feed, and specialty chemicals and ingredients. Join us and grow your career with a strong and profitable industry leader offering competitive compensation, tremendous growth and development opportunities, and a people-first work environment. Come grow with us!
- General Purpose and Scope of Position:
Assist in all aspects of plant operations and warehouse operations duties. To include but not limited to; stocking and retrieving package and bulk containers, forklift, and general housekeeping. This role requires solid mechanical ability and aptitude. Must enjoy working with a diverse customer base in a fast-paced setting.
Key Skills and Abilities Include:
- Knowledge and/or experience with agricultural operations (preferred)
- Willingness to operate material handling equipment, including forklift, order picker, pallet jack, and other equipment as required
- Ability to repetitively bend and lift boxes and bags to 80 lbs. while working in a non-climate-controlled environment
- Good computer, math, and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple assignments
- Willing and desire to work overtime hours during busy seasons
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Class A CDL with endorsements a plus
Key Personal Attributes Include:
- Maintain a professional appearance and positive attitude at all times
- Enjoys and embraces a diverse/variety of job duties and responsibilities
- This person should be versatile, flexible, and willing
- Detail-oriented – ability to enter data with a high level of accuracy
- Can effectively multi-task
- Work and contribute to a team approach/effort with a positive attitude and outlook
- Requires excellent interpersonal skills between both customers and fellow employees
Specific Responsibilities and Key Deliverables Include:
- Batch Plant Operation
- Correctly interpret and create seed batch sheets
- Create custom fertilizer blends in the batch plant
- Properly label all custom blends
- Fill tanks and trucks as needed
- Coordinate with dispatcher scheduling of all outgoing fertilizer deliveries
- Work with the Operations Manager on awareness and management of any contaminated loads
- Neatness and attention to detail on all paperwork, and seeing that it all returns to the office for processing
- Daily Maintenance and Cleanliness of all plant equipment and plant
- Tank Farm OperationManage all bulk fertilizer tanks (liquid levels, labeling, maintenance, etc.)
- Coordinate with the Dispatch Department scheduling of incoming bulk fertilizer deliveries
- Contribute to tank farm cleanliness and upkeep
- Support waste-water management
- Work within the team on the repair, maintenance, and safety issues on all tank farm equipment
- Secure tank farm at the end of each day as scheduled
- Ensure that all equipment and plumbing are properly maintained
- Help with random sampling for fertilizer analysis accuracyFill containers with proper herbicide or pesticide as needed
- Wear proper safety equipment per SDS sheets of chemicals being handled by an employee Chemicals utilized at this branch require a respirator in case of emergency and must be able to pass pulmonary function tests.
- Make sure the tank is cleaned and ready to be filled, and ensure the integrity of containers being filled with proper testing per EPA rules
- Ensure the proper weight of the tank and chemical
- Make sure the tank is sealed correctly when finished
- Make sure the tank is adequately stickered for warnings, deposit, and tank testing
- Scan bar code for tracking of tank
- Load and unload bulk tankers
- Utilize catch basins for spills
- Monitor all tanks that are being pumped into or out of for leaks, spills, or damage
- Make sure all containers are adequately cleaned when done filling
- Make sure all drums are put safely onto a pallet and wrapped with shrink wrap before being put into the warehouse for storage or onto the truck for delivery
- Ensure the security of the Tank Farm and warehouse rooms and all aspects of it, which may include but are not limited to locking out electrical switches and or pumps, making sure tank valves are in the closed position at the end of the day
- Make sure all pumps and valves are labeled correctly, whether it be on or off, open or closed, or the correct chemical name
- Report any issues with equipment to a manager right away
- Assist with shop repair work and equipment maintenance when needed
- Assist with deliveries of chemicals & fertilizers as needed
- Assist with pulling orders and packaging of products for shipment
- Maintain accurate inventory records, ensuring no product left or entered the warehouse without the necessary paperwork
- Attend product training sessions and meetings when necessary
- All other duties as assigned
Compensation and Benefits:
In compliance with all states and cities that require transparency of pay, the base compensation for this position ranges from $16.11 – $20.37 per hour. Note that wages may vary based on location, skills, and experience. This position is eligible for vacation, holidays, health, dental, vision, mental health, retirement plans, and other benefits.
Wilbur-Ellis is a company you can be proud to call your employer
Wilbur-Ellis markets and distributes agricultural products, animal feed, specialty chemicals, and food ingredients. A privately held and consistently profitable company, we employ more than 4,000 people throughout North America and Asia-Pacific.
Wilbur-Ellis is for and about people
Wilbur-Ellis has enjoyed 100 years of success and growth, all thanks to our people. Our employees are leaders and team players who thrive on creativity, entrepreneurial spirit, and a dedication to quality work, our customers, and each other.
Wilbur-Ellis invests in the industry’s best workforce
Wilbur-Ellis invests heavily in our employees by offering skill development and training, competitive compensation and benefits, and a tradition of promoting from within for a broad range of career opportunities. And we foster a supportive, people-first work environment.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting2.ultipro.com.