Seed Research internship
Website Legend Seeds
Your Regional Seed Leader
Objective: The Legend Seeds Research Internship is designed to provide comprehensive experience in the seed industry. The intern will be a part of the Legend Research team during the spring and summer months and learn how to implement knowledge gained in the classroom and apply it in real-world applications. The intern will support research and development with plot management and represent Legend’s culture as he/she promotes Legend’s brand as Your Regional Seed Leader. Interns will have the opportunity to participate in plot management, sales calls, farm shows, dealer meetings, plot days, and other exciting staff events.
Location: Position available in East Central South Dakota
Types of activities:
o Aid with individual Research/ LEAP plots
o Build and post maps for LEAP plots
o Print and fill packets for plots
o Build individual planting boxes
o Prepare for and aid with planting
o Prep plot stakes and stake plots
· Utilize research equipment i.e.: seed counter, handheld devices, and planter
· Support Research & Development Team with coordination of the plot seed management to and distribution.
· Support Legend Agronomists by helping plant and maintain plot presentation and harvesting of plot.
· Provide customer service as necessary to potential, new, and existing customers.
· Attend and assist with agronomic and product Q&A at events such as Knowledge Plots, dealer meetings, team meetings, plot tours, farm shows, etc.
· Assist with daily research projects and recording all data/work activities.
· Assist in the seed lab and other areas related to quality control.
· Ensure that company assets are well-cared for and properly maintained.
· Follow all safety procedures.
· Gain competent knowledge of Legends pillars, products, and procedures.
· Assist in other departments and help with special projects as deemed necessary.
· Learn sales, marketing, and agronomic aspects of the seed industry.
· Complete a written summary or PowerPoint presentation of work experience at the end of the internship.
· The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation.
Skills and Qualifications:
· Currently enrolled in a tech school or college and majoring in an ag-related field with a strong interest in agronomic research required.
· Highly motivated self-starter with strong work ethic, with a willingness and ability to listen and learn.
· Adept with technology, particularly soil mapping, field scouting and customer relationship tools.
· Must have strong written and verbal communication skills, with the capacity to pay close attention to details and think analytically.
· Must have basic math skills and be proficient in Microsoft Office programs.
· Must possess a high degree of initiative and resourcefulness to work independently.
· Must have a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record
· Ability to lift and/or carry 50 lbs., walk on uneven ground and be willing to work outside in changing weather conditions.
· This is a non-exempt position and does not include any benefits.
Internship Date: May start as early as March to late-August; exact dates flexible due to school schedule and availability
Travel: Legend Seeds operates in a seven-state region, including South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Internship will require some overnight and weekends for planting of research plots, travel to support events, etc.
Work Schedule: Typically, 40 hours/week Monday-Friday. Some variation as needed due to travel.
Other: Laptop and company credit card for Legend business use will be provided.
To Apply: Visit https://legendseeds.net/about-us/work-us.
To apply for this job please visit legendseeds.net.