Website City of Brookings
BRING YOUR DREAMS
Looking for a job opportunity with an organization that values our employees? The City of Brookings is a welcoming and inclusive community. We are looking for people who want to provide a high quality of life through exceptional services and proactive solutions. Our organization operates through honest, service-oriented leadership with core values of integrity, accountability and innovation.
The City of Brookings believes our employees are truly our most valuable asset and are essential to our continued success. We proudly offer a comprehensive and valuable benefits package designed to fit the need of our employees and their families.
Interested in joining our team as a Full-Time Patrol Officer? Here are the specifics on the job:
Position closes May 24, 2023 @ 11:59 pm
Applicants must be 21 years old on date of testing! Testing scheduled for Saturday, June 3, 2023.
Under the direct supervision of the Sergeant and/or Lieutenant, the Police Officer is responsible for providing law enforcement services to the citizens of Brookings in a timely, efficient and professional manner. Often working alone, the patrol officer must exercise independent judgment and discretion acting decisively during times of crisis and emergency. The position will require working a rotation of various shifts and work days as assigned including day, evening and midnight shifts, weekends and holidays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts investigations involving crimes, traffic accidents, animal complaints, city code violations and other matters of daily law enforcement business; gathers and preserves evidence; obtains statements from all persons connected with investigations; make arrests where applicable and completes all necessary forms and paperwork as required.
- Patrols designated areas of responsibility as assigned in an effort to deter and detect crimes or other issues needing law enforcement intervention.
- Direct and reroute traffic in and around scenes involving fires, traffic crashes, major crimes and natural disasters; secures scenes to prevent contamination of evidence, disruption of services, prevent injury to bystanders and other emergency workers and to ensure the integrity and safety of the scene.
- Prepare reports in a timely, concise and thorough manner; interview victims, suspects and witnesses documenting actions taken, information gathered and other information material to the completion of reports.
- Answer all subpoenas for testimony in criminal and civil cases, Grand Jury hearings and other legal processes as required.
- Transport prisoners to detention centers, medical facilities and other locations as required; ensuring transportations are conducted in a safe and secure manner utilizing approved restraint devices and equipment to prevent the escape of or injury to the person(s) being transported.
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend various workshops, seminars and training as deemed necessary or required.
- Maintain and promote positive public relations; participate in public education programs and seminars designed to enhance the quality of life of the citizens of Brookings.
- Perform duties in a manner consistent with safe practices and policies established by the City of Brookings and the Brookings Police Department.
- Perform other such duties as assigned and/or deemed necessary for the effective and efficient operation of the police department.