Lake Area Technical Institute values and respects the dignity and worth of all students and the diverse opportunities that are available to everyone. Members of diverse groups possess gifts, talents, experiences, histories, and cultures that allow them to make valuable contributions to the educational mission of the institution and to all those associated with the institution.
Student Activities, Clubs and Organizations
Lake Area Tech offers a variety of activities, clubs and organizations. Click here to view a current list.
Program and Services:
- Diversity/Student Activities Coordinator
- Supports the recruitment, transition, retention, persistence and graduation of American Indian students.
- Seeks to increase cross cultural engagement, encourages the appreciation of cultural and human differences, and advocates for the respectful inclusion of Indigenous knowledge.
- Devoted to strengthening relationships with, and among, the students, staff, and faculty of LATI, and the tribal nations of South Dakota.
- Disability Services
- Provides assistance for students with a wide range of disabilities. Your first step is to fill out the application for disability services. Along with this application, you’ll need to send documentation of the disability. After that, we’ll set up an appointment to discuss services we can provide that will enhance your learning experiences at LATI.
- Assistive Technologies
- Alternative accommodations for exams (for example, testing in a distraction-reduced environment or providing readers for exams)
- Extended time for testing
- Veterans Center
- Lake Area Technical Institute thanks all veterans for their service to our country. LATI is committed to providing veterans access to and success in post-secondary technical education. We offer veterans and their families a variety of on-campus services and benefits as well as access to our Veterans Opps Lounge located in the Student Services building. Click here for more information on veterans’ benefits/services.
- Opportunity Program – Lake Area Tech is pleased to provide a number of student educational services in our Education Services Center including:
- Support Services:
- Peer mentoring
- Academic and social events
- Individual academic guidance
- Personalized financial, career, and social assistance
- Referrals to other campus services
- Support Services:
Off Campus Resources:
- Multicultural Center
2500 5th Street SE, Watertown, SD 57201
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) Pastoral and Liturgical Resources
- Films, Publications, Forums on Immigration/Multicultural Issues
- Around the World Summer Youth Program
- Meeting Place for Cultural Discussions and Celebrations
- Adult Conversational Spanish Courses
- Cultural Celebrations
- Summer Youth Program – Around the World
- ESL Classes (English as a Second Language)
- Native American History and Culture Courses
- Pastoral Resources
- Immigration Issues Advocacy
- Jail/Prison Ministry
- Speedy Spanish
- Spanish Communication for Teachers K-12
- Walk a Mile in My Moccasins: An Appreciation of Native American Culture
- Empowering Immigrant Women in Northeastern South Dakota